It is important that you learn the basics of keeping fish before buying an aquarium. You can get useful aquarium tips from the aquarium sellers, who are normally well informed, a neighbor or friend who has maintained an aquarium for years. These aquarium tips can help you keep the aquarium clean and healthy.
Here are a few aquarium tips that every beginner must master:
1. Do not go in for a very small aquarium. It is always advisable to have a large fish tank, which can hold at least 20-25 gallons of water. This provides for enough breathing space for the fish.
2. A large tank has other benefits too. The most important is that it allows for a more uniform temperature gradient. This not only leads to better water chemistry but also encourages growth of beneficial bacteria and algae.
3. Normally you need one gallon of water to keep 1" of fish. Make sure that you keep this ratio in mind while adding fish to your aquarium.
4. You should allow bacteria to grown in the fish tanks, especially along the sides of filter sponges and the sides of the tank. They keep the water pure and healthy. Never make the mistake of washing filters under running tap water. You will only be throwing away useful bacteria. Instead, you should wash the filters within the tank itself.
5. You must clean/change the tank water at regular intervals. This will help you get rid of solid waste that may accumulate.
6. You must also be careful when it comes to feeding fish. Let the supply of feed reach bare minimum before replenishing it. There is no point in overstocking fish feed, as it would only lead to wastage.
These are a few aquarium tips that will keep your fish healthy. You will learn more once you start maintaining an aquarium